Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A morning walk at Sungei Buloh (6 Sep 2009)


Went to Sungei Buloh (SBWR) on a Sunday morning around 7:20am and hoping to see the Smooth Otters. Although I went there so many times, I only managed to see the Otters once when I was conducting a guided walk there last year.

My hope was spoilt by a heavy downpour which lasted for almost an hour. By the time I started my walk around 8.20am, I could not even smell the shit of the Otter.

What I saw was a Water Monitor Lizard crawling its way onto the boardwalk, and posed calmly for me to take a close-up shot.

 


While walking along Route 1, spotted a pair of very unique Dragonfly (Rhyothemis phyllis) with a Bee-Coloured design on its wings. Being a Dragonfly lover, how could I miss such opportunity to capture it in my photo album.


Probably the heavy rain has destroyed the Ant Nest, and could see the Red Weaver Ants (Oecophylla smaragdina)were busy building up their Nest again. It's a great teamwork as you could see some Ants were stretching themselves to hold on to the Leaf while the others were trying their very best to join the Leaves together. While watching the Ants constructing their nest, I noticed a nice Caterpillar crawling on a leaf a few steps away. Guess it might sense that there were a group of Ants nearby and trying to crawl away from them.


Crabs were seen crawling their way out from the hole of the Mud Lobster Mound. The Singapore Vinegar Crabs (Episersarma singaporense)have a 'Special Skill', which is Tree-Climbing. Also spotted a hugh Snail, the Giant African Snail (Achatina fulica) on the Tree, one of the biggest I have ever seen.


At the Observation Hide along Route 2, saw a playful little Heron, the Striated Heron (Butroides striata) watching closely on a Dog-Faced Water Snake at about 50m away. Too bad my camera does not have a high optical zoom, didn't manage to capture a clear photo of this Bird-Watching-Snake.


When I almost completing my walk along Route 1, I saw a Mangrove St Andrew’s Spider (Argiope mangal) with its beautiful web near the signboard of the observatory hide. This Spider is commonly found at SBWR, and it has a smiling face on its body.

Though the heavy rain chased the Otters away, but it's still a good morning exercise for me. I have a strong feeling that I will be able to see the Otters soon at SBWR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog