Monday, August 31, 2009

A Tiring Walk at Pulau Ubin (29 August 2009)

Arranged with some friends to go Chek Jawa at Pulau Ubin on 29 August (Sat), but found out that the tide was high at Chek Jawa and we were not able to access the inter-tidal area. We therefore joined Ron and Luan Keng to explore the mangrove walk but it was indeed a very long walk.

Captured the morning dew on a leaf and was surprised to see that the photo turned out quite nice. On another leave, I found a colourful caterpillar crawling slowly and it's about 1.5 inch long.


My friend Martina always says I like to take insect/animal mating photo, and this time I spotted two flies mating on a leaf. I think they were too engrossed and never noticed me capturing their indecent 'R-rated' act.


Ron spotted a praying mantis on a big leaf, and its colour blended very well with the leaf. This is my first time to see such a big praying mantis, and it stayed very calm and still even though many of us were pointing our camera at it. While some of us were busy viewing the Grey Heron, a hugh grasshopper were also found among the branches.


While everyone was busy looking at the big leaf fig, a small insect hop on the leaf. At first I thought it was a spider as it moved and hop like one, but after checking with Ming, he told me that it's some kind of unknown hopper. At the other end of the bushes, I saw a lizard moving and hopping from one tree to another. It actually playing hide and seek with me as it sensed me trying to take photo.


After a long walk, we took a water break at a shelter. I walked around and spotted an orange insect, and Ron highlighted that it was a Wasp. I never see such a big Wasp before, and it kept moving and flying around, giving us a hard time to capture a good photo shot. Luckily, it started burrowing and that's the best time for us to take photo. Ron later confirmed in his blog that it is a Spider Wasp.


Spotted a few young Cotton Stinger Bugs on a dried-up seed of the Sea Hibiscus and never expect the photo to turn out so amazing when the orange-red mixed with the brown. I always find it difficult to capture a good photo of butterfly as it never stays still. The Orange Common Awl was a bit different from the normal butterfly didn't fly away even if I went quite near it.


Towards the mangrove area, Ron found a big spider with its spiderlings on a leaf. By the time I tried to take its photo, it hided under the leaves and probably felt that it already had enough photos for the day, taken by Ron and Peiting. Nevertheless, I still managed to capture it under the leaves, though the photo is not that good.


After all these months of nature walk at Sungei Buloh, I like taking photo of Dragonfly as I find that it's very beautiful and comes in different colour. I am in the process of compiling my Dragonfly album. I am glad to find 2 different colours Dragonflies in this trip :-)


The only regret for this trip was not able to go to Chek Jawa, but nevertheless, it was still a fruitful experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog